Sunday, June 11, 2006

The World Cup

Oh dear, IT has started and I'm already suffering. Three matches a day at the moment, at 2.00, 5.00 and 8.00 each day, and the Husband seems determined to watch them all. Fortunately I can hide in the study to get away from it, and have my own TV in there as well as my books but still at times the bellows, when a goal has been scored or failed to be scored, reach my ears like a mastodon roaring in a distant primeval swamp. And then he comes in to update me on what is going on and which team is the better and why. The computer is in the same room as the main TV and it's not easy to concentrate while a match is as, in addition to the noise from the TV, Himself keeps on commenting, loudly, on the game.

OK it's only on once every 4 years but that is more than enough. I still remember the last time the World Cup was on. I was still working then and one weekday morning I set off for work at the same time that the then England team strode on the pitch for an important match. As I strode towards the station I walked through streets that were totally silent and deserted, no cars or men to be seen. Walking through a suburban street with houses on both sides suddenly male voices could be heard from all directions, from each of the houses I was passing. I had no doubt that England had scored a goal. Of course by the time I reached work the game was over and England had lost but I still remember that and the commitment felt by virtually everyone over here.

I caught a couple of minutes of the opening ceremony last Thursday and have to admit that the Germans have proved to all their sense of humour - there was a delicious sense of irony in the start of the ceremony.

This time, of course, the World Cup is being held so close to home that many of our fans have gone over there. The media have been repeating the Fawlty Towers phrase for weeks - "Don't Mention the War". Hopefully there will be no trouble. But they do get totally emotionally involved in the competition.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And guys accuse women of being overly emotional! I cannot for the life of me see what's to get worked up about over any sporting event--especially about who wins! I enjoyed seeing the young girls run races when the kids were in secondary school, and always cheered all of the girls on; but, whoever won was of small consequence. You probably nailed it with your reference to "mastodon". There is a part of the male brain that is akin to the mastodon brain. *laughing* Cop Car

Adele said...

I just don't understand a passion for sport and how worked up people get over who wins and who loses. And, of course, football is an absolute National obsession, especially at the moment when football is dominating all ther subjects. It even takes up a significant part of our News broadcasts. Talk about OTT.