Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Monday afternoon and evening I felt totally stunned, a feeling that began to wear off as Tuesday wore off. Why? Monday afternoon we bought a new car.

I am a great believer of buying a car that works, maintaining it properly and just keeping it going for as long as the car works and it is economic still to run. This is what we did with our current car, a Citroen Xantia SX 1.9 diesel. We have had it for 15 years, buying it very shortly after we married. We have had very few and those relatively minor problems with it over the years and it has never let us down (touch wood). Of course neither of us used it to drive to work. Taking the train to the center of London for work was both the most economic and far less stressful option of traffic queues and trying to find somewhere to park (our employer does not provide parking spaces for employees) and so the car has mainly been used for local trips and longer drives to visit both the Husband’s and my parents. So now, after 15 years the car has done less than 68,000 miles.

At the Xantia's last service we were told by my brother-in-law, a trained mechanic who has seen to the car’s servicing for years, that at the next service the car will need a new braking system, a new gearbox and lots and lots of expensive work done to the hydraulic system. As the cost of all this work will considerably exceed the value of the car we knew that we would need to replace the car before the next service and MOT in the third week in September. The road fund license expires at the end of August.

So we started thinking about possible replacements. We bought a copy of What Car magazine and read the comments and critiques of all the cars sold in the UK. I have also spent a fair bit of time looking online. We both agreed that our next move was to look around various car showrooms and to take several test drives of various cars before sitting down and discussing sensibly what car to buy. So we made our first visit to a car salesroom Monday afternoon.

Ahem.

We went to an Audi dealers in Chelmsford. We had test drives in two different cars (one of them an automatic which confirmed my total loathing of automatic cars). We chatted to the salesman about prices. And then out of the blue the Husband offered them a deal - What Car says that the most you can get off the model is £700, he asked for a discount of about £1,700 on the overall price. After a lot of thought behind the scenes they took the offer. And we shook on it. So we've bought a car. An Audi A4 Avant SE diesel. We are having only a couple of additions to it: an automatic handbrake switch, the reversing warning system the Stepson suggested (he drives his maternal grandmother’s car) and an adaptor for an iPod. And the colour of the car - Red (there were only three basic colours and we didn't like the other two - black and white - and didn't want to pay more for the metallics).

The car will be built to our specifications in Germany and shipped over here. We were told it will take 5 - 6 weeks before we finally get it. Then we will have to make moves to get rid of our old car.

At the moment the Husband is wondering whether to ask them to add a Bang & Olufsen sound system to the car. We'll see.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eh up Adele? Put it down to the wonder of the interweb that I found your blog (actually I have a standing Google search for "Bang & Olufsen" - don't ask) and I'm glad I did because it's lovely although speaking as a bloke and Husband I'd rather see more of the Audi A4 discussion over the knitting but then hey it's your blog! Anyway, I wanted to reassure you over the car decision; I owned a Xantia going back ten years (still miss the lovely suspension) and then in succession bought an Audi A6 Avant, a Volvo V70 and then an Audi A4 Avant right up until my recent mid-life-crisis S5. Now I COULD be accused of profligacy and plead guilty but I think The Wife has just resigned herself that it could be worse. In your case, the fact that you ran the Xantia for 15 years, did the research and went to the Audi dealer first seems perfectly sensible and I don't think you'll be disappointed. After all, how much of your Saturday do you really want to spend going around car dealers? AND you got a deal. The odds are in your favour that it will run reliably for another 15 years and your brother-in-law will enjoy working on it. Get over the guilt! It'll be great. - Nick in Bath

Adele said...

Hello Nick and welcome. It's really nice to see you here.

I think the reason I was stunned on Monday was because I had braced myself to the fact of having to spend masses of time looking at various makes and models of cars. And, of course, dealing with car salesmen who are a species of their own. So the fact we managed to find what we wanted so quickly surprised me. (But then the Husband has always admired Audis and so I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised that this was the first car salesroom we went to.)

I agree with you comment about the Xantia's suspension. It is wonderful. And being able to pump it up to get through floods, etc was a real boon when my parents lived in a tiny village in Dorset that regularly got cut off from the outside world by floods. Clearly you moved onto Audis too. The Husband was looking at the Audi R8 in the salesroom and I had to talk him out of the Cabriolet.

Now I've got used to the idea I'm looking forward to our new car. We checked its size compared with our current car and discovered that it's slightly bigger in all dimensions. Just as well, we needed more room in the boot, sometimes to put my father-in-law's wheelchair in the car and sometimes to lug all my Stepson's gear to and from Cambridge.

Good luck with your searches on Bang & Olufsen.

Adele

Anonymous said...

Do enjoy your Audi, when it comes, Adele. It is said to be a great car. Cop Car

Adele said...

Many thanks, CopCar. I can hardly wait for the car to arrive.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Adele.....did the Husband get the Bang and Olufsen sound system?? You'll find him sitting in the car listening to his CD collection in the middle of the night, until the new car smell wears off! lol

I think you lucked out not to have to look at cars for weeks on end, only to buy the first car you looked at.

Buffy

Adele said...

Buffy, As you can see I've posted a piece in the main body of the blog in answer to your question.

And yes, I think you are right. My brain would have fused if I had had to look at hundreds of different cars before having to make a decision on what to buy!