Sunday, October 23, 2005

Mugenkyo Taiko Drummers

Just back from a concert at the towns theatre for an exhilarating performance of the Mugenkyo Taiko Drummers, a high energy rhythm, percussion and dance troup. Just five performers with drums, a flut and what I assume is a Japanese equivalent of a didgeridoo. The way they played drums in particular was highly choreographed in a way which took nothing away from the impact of the music. The drums were so exhilarating and you could feel the beat in every part of your body- I don't think the marrow in my bones has calmed down yet. It was different but striking, if you pardon the pun. Well worth going to see and hear this. I really, really enjoyed it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not familiar with this particular group, but we have something similar called "Stomp." These incredibly talented percussionists make music with "found" items, such as brooms, or dripping pipes, garbage can lids or playing cards.

The first time I saw them on TV I was astounded at their mastery and performance of complicated rhythms. The fact that they played unusual instruments didn't detract from their performance at all.

I hope Dear Husband takes the hint and gets tickets for their performance the next time they come through the Chicago area.

I'm certain I understand how you feel. Percussion is a very visceral thing, isn't it? I know you had a great afternoon!

Buffy