Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Yesterday on the 6.00 pm news the BBC announced a way for people to help in the prediction of climate change, to add a programme to their own computers and let them work away at a part of the problem whenever the computers are not actually working. Well I have had the same type of programme on my p.c. before, once on an experiment connected, I think, to SETI and then afterwards one connected on some sort of medical programme. So I had no hesitation in Downloading the BBC programme so that it could work away in the background of my p.c. whenever it was on and I could feel I was helping, in at least a minor way. Big mistake. Immediately my computer began to play up very badly and to work incredibly slowly. A Defrag didn't help either. This morning it took almost 45 minutes for the computer to be turned on completely. So I deleted the BBC programme from my system and immediately it began to work properly again. It's still working all right. So I would just say with any programme like that one Beware, and if it doesn't work be prepared to get rid of it. Like most people I'd like to find someway to help, however small, obviously this wasn't it.

I'm spending a lot of time at the moment soothing the fevered brow - the Husband has flu, badly. He really is feeling poorly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

None of the bugs going around, these days, is any fun (were they ever?!) Hope your Husband gets over it quickly and that you don't catch it from him. I don't ever want my machine doing something that I did not specifically order it to do, so I'm not a likely candidate for shared computing. It's a rather inefficient way to attack large problems, anyway, so I don't regret my stance. (Of course, computers are rather inefficient, at best, spending the vast majority of their power to keep track of what they've done. That's what makes them such a prime source for a government that wishes to pry into our business!)
Cop Car

Adele said...

The Husband is still feeling rather fragile. I sincerely hope that he gets over it soon. There are lots of bugs going around at the moment.

As far as the computer thing is concerned it was my decision to decide to do so, based on previous experience of "shared computing". The cause struck me as worth trying, but not at the risk of my computer.

The Beeb, incidentally, is pushing people like mad to Download the programme. It was covered on the News, on a specially made tv programme and in lots of trailers. I'm not prepared to do it though if it mucks up my computer, even though the blurb on the website said that it would muck up the experiment if you pulled out early.