Thursday, November 09, 2006

My Computer is Dead

Tuesday of last week I wrote of my frustration at the way my computer was playing up. The following day I couldn't get it to do anything. It turned out that my Hard Disc had died. I've lost everything - all the software on the hard disc, documents on Word and Excel, e-mails I was planning to reply to, e-mail addresses, reminders of passwords, everything.

It took until Tuesday of this week for a new Hard Disc to come by Courier and be installed by one of the Stepdaufghter's boyfriends. Then I discovered that there were further problems and yesterday I took the computer to the workshop. I have no idea if the patient will survive or if I'll have to replace it. I'll let you all know in due course.

Oh, I'm writing this on a computer in the public library. Can't get used to its keyboard at all.

If anyone world like to write to remind me of their e-mail address I'd be very grateful - there is plenty of room left in my space in my ISP website for e-mails.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If your computer had been talking to Wichi Dude's computer, I would think that it had caught something. Bummer! Will send an email.
Cop Car

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that I better make some backups. I've had a computer die. I have some idea of what you're experiencing, and there's nothing fun about it!

I'll send an e-mail with my addresses.

I hope your 'puter is up and running soon!

Buffy

Adele said...

CopCar,

I hope that Wichi Dude's computer is sorted out now and that it wasn't as extreme a problem as mine was. Losing so much stuff was no fun.

E-mail received. Thanks.

Adele said...

Buffy,

Back-ups were something that I never bothered with, except for the music which we put on that new drive (thank goodness, otherwise we would have lost more than 14 days worth of music).

I hope I've learnt my lesson but I admit that I don't really know how to do back-ups. I must learn somehow.

I have your e-mail. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

You just reminded me that I've not really backed up anything since wiping my hard drive and re-loading everything two months ago. I only back up files, not software loadings. That's an improvement over what I did for years and years, though.
Cop Car
P.S. As I recall, Wichi Dude lost his hard drive. Then, Dudette's computer started acting up. I'm not sure the status on her computer problems; but I've received a couple of emails from her this week, so it can't be too bad!

Adele said...

CopCar,

Backups are one of those things that we are always told to do but rarely do so. I must learn how to backup my p.c.