Thursday, May 15, 2008

Does anyone else have the problems I do in choosing greetings cards? Every time I go in a card shop to buy a card my brain fuses. It isn’t the massive amount of choice in cards, it is because I have such difficulty finding any cards that I would actually want to buy.

Virtually every card is addressed to someone – and nowadays the cards will be clearly marked on the front of the card as for: husband, wife, brother, sister, friend, best friend, fiancee, aunt, uncle, gay lover, dog or cat (I’m not joking about these last three, I have actually seen greeting cards for sale addressed to them). And inside these cards is some sickly sentimental verse which usually is so bad it makes William McGonagall seem like the poet laureate. (The standard of verse in Valentine’s cards is especially notable.)

The less said about the so-called “funny” cards the better. I usually look for something like this for my nephew (aged 22, and so of the right age to receive such a card). You have to plough through a huge amount of dross to find anything that is reasonably humorous without being totally offensive. Who on earth sends some of these cards with humour that borders on the obscene? And what does the recipient think?

What is wrong with a nice card with a nice picture on the front which says inside “Happy Birthday”? That’s what I like to find but usually I have the dickens of a job to find anything suitable. I like to think that by sending a card that it goes without saying that I am thinking of the person. I don’t need to send card with some meaningless verse inside to say so.

The local card shop is exceptionally large and full of cards. But those of the type I like fill just a couple of feet of space in the very back of the shop and I generally have to hunt to find them. And even then the choice of decorations on the front of the cards often does not inspire. I can usually find something suitable for a lady with perhaps flowers or something else feminine and pretty on the front. But try to find a card for a man. Just what “manly” picture do you find on the front of a card? Racing cars, yachts and then only if you are lucky.

Often nowadays I go for a card with no writing inside. That always seems the best option. Then I can chose something with a picture I like and am suitable for the person I am sending it to and write something suitable inside.

Am I being too picky about greetings cards? I am just aware of a close friend who was sent an ordinary Christmas card with a printed verse inside that wished her “the best Christmas ever” two months after the death of her son. It was obviously done totally unthinkingly by a sender who just hadn’t thought of what was printed in the card. But seeing how much hurt that card caused made me think twice and forever about the potential impact of a sent greetings card.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've hit on a compromise by buying the blank card that lets you write your own greeting. You also use online cards. I'm sure that all appreciate your note and/or online greetings!

I vote that we follow your example, or, that we all go back to writing notes to friends and loved ones, rather than enriching the coffers of the card makers.
Cop Car

Adele said...

Thank you. I certainly second that vote. One thing I forgot to mention is the number of special "days" that card manufacturers have made up purely to make more money for themselves. The other day when I was walking past a card shop they were advertising "Nurses Day". Then there is "Secretaries Day" and goodness knows what else. I've never looked at these cards or the verses inside.

Nothing beats a simple cards with a few heartfelt words one has written inside oneself.

Anonymous said...

I've always rather considered Mother's Day, Father's Day, Children's Day, and Grandparent's Day in that vein, Adele. That is why I never encouraged our daughters to observe them.
CC
P.S. Name me just one day that is celebrated that the merchants won't attempt to take advantage of!

Adele said...

Children's Day? Grandparent's Day? I've not come across either although I suspect that card retailers over here "celebrate" both, to their own pecunary advantage.

Mothering Sunday I celebrate with flowers or a plant, NOT a card.

And no, I can't think of any special day that card retailers won't take advantage of.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with the two of you. I've given up trying to find appropriate cards. It takes more time than I have, and I don't enjoy the experience. I'd much rather write a personal note that might mean more to the recipient.

We do go in for the big Mother's Day cards for Elegante Mother. She really enjoys the cards, but I don't expect them from my stepchildren. I was surprised to get a "gramma" card on Mother's Day from our 4 year old granddaughter. Perhaps her mother is teaching her about notes and cards.

Adele, I totally agree on the subject of the supposedly humorous cards. Many of them are obscene, and I'd be terribly offended to receive one of them.

As Cop Car said, you find absolutely beautiful on-line cards. Thanks for sending them!

Buffy

Adele said...

Buffy, When my Mother-in-Law was still alive the Husband always bought her a big card for Mothering Sunday. And Oh the trouble getting one she would like...

I am glad you enjoy the e-cards I send out. I have to admit that I am glad to have found a source of cards that is enjoyed both by recipients AND the sender. Thank You Jacqui Lawson.