Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Right then. I've removed the strapping attaching the broken finger to its brothers and am attempting to type this. Not easy but as I'm told that it is going to take months for the finger to heal completely I can't just avoid everything for that long.

How did it happen? My second visit to the gym without the tutor I went up to the piece of equipment where you push forward a pair of handles and by a series of levers weights are lifted. I had to adjust the seat to suit my height and it stuck. I fought with it for a bit with my full strength and suddenly the whole seat bit shot out of the socket and then came down on the wedding ring finger of my left hand. It was totally an accident and I didn't realise properly then just what I had done. After running water from the drinking fountain on the finger I carried on with the rest of the exercises, went outside and bought a bottle of drinking water. It was only when I went to the changing room to change I looked at my rapidly swelling finger and thought that I out to tell someone so it could be put in the Sports Centre's Accident Book. They took it very seriously and insisted that I went to the hospital. An X-ray showed that the finger is broken badly. The consultant in the Fractures clinic said that it is no good operating as the bits of bones are too small for metal to attach to them. So I have to wait for it to heal of its own accord with the knowledge that there is a risk that I might never gain full mobility back. Hurts a lot at times but I can do things now with the thumb and forefinger of my left hand so I am not completely helpless. And fortunately I am right handed. But - no craftwork at all, I've had to put the knitting, crocheting and sewing away. This is my first real attempt at typing and if I take the strapping off it seems I can do some. Thank goodness.

Many thanks for your kind wishes Cop Car and Buffy. Sorry I've been away. I'll try and get back more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you tell us the rest of the story. Just after I plunked down my hard-saved money to pay for working with a trainer for a while. But, this is about you! It's hard to imagine that you could have endured completing your workout with your finger in such shape--and to need to have your ring cut off is upsetting, I know (not from personal experience). Glad you are back, but hope that you did not over-do the typing. You must allow your finger to heal properly!! *wagging finger*
Cop Car

Anonymous said...

oh, it bears repeating....Ouch, ouch, ouch ouch OUCH!!!

I'm so sorry to hear that there was so much damage, and that you must go craftless for so long.

Take care of that hand, hon.

Buffy

Anonymous said...

Just desire to say your article is as amazing. The
clarity in your post is simply nice and i
could assume you are an expert on this subject.
Fine with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with
forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work.


Here is my page how to sell house quick