Monday, March 27, 2006

Mothers Day

Yesterday was a special day. It was Mothers Day and both stepchildren came around, my Stepdaughter at lunchtime for the rest of the day and the Stepson in the evening, after spending time with his own mother during the day. The Stepdaughter actually gave me a Mothers Day present - a DVD of "Acorn Antiques the Musical" something I had wanted to see at the theatre but couldn't as the London West End ticket prices are so expensive nowadays.

I am always surprised and touched to get such attention on Mothers Day as I am only the Stepmother. It's lovely that they are prepared to make the day so special.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Val--I sit here, shaking my head, wondering how a stepmother could possibly be considered "only" a stepmother. It is such a demanding role, frought with landmines. I congratulate you, and all of the other fine stepmothers, for providing unsung support to the children of your husbands. It must be unimaginably difficult, and I'm hoping that there are copious rewards. Belated happy Mother's Day!
Cop Car

Adele said...

Thank you for your kind thought CopCar. I have always been very grateful for how both Stepkids accepted me from the very beginning especially as one hears so many terrible stories about conflict when a Stepmother joins a family. However I've always been careful to try to make a new place in the family and not just to fill the vacant slot. It seems to have worked.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I missed this post, Val. I must have been off in my own little world, again, or I would have surely bid you a Happy Mother's Day! I'm a stepmother, too, and like you, I'm always a little surprised when one of the kids remembers me. I tend to spend Mother's Day with my own mother, since all her other daughters are celebrating with their families, and I do more with my stepchildren on Father's Day, when they come to be with their Dad. I find our relationships have eased now that the kids are in their thirties, and now that my stepdaughter has a daughter of her own. *S*

Buffy