Wednesday, September 13, 2006

It's working again, I think

The computer seems to be working properly again. I have to admit that although the Stepdaughter promised to find a Rentageek to work on it before she could pin her mates down to a time and date the Stepson came back and insisted on working at it. I was a little dubious - let's face it he's reading History at Cambridge and his computer experience is all what he has picked upby trial and error as first a schoolboy and now a student. It took three days but he seems to have sorted it out and the computer now seems to be working properly.

I have one problem though. The reason why I wanted to move iTunes to a new hard Disc with greater capacity is because it contains lots of audio books and unabridged books by such as P D James, Ngaio Marsh and, one of my favourites, Ruth Dudley Edwards. Each book having several CDs. All the tracks that make up each disc and hence each audio book have transferred. However the playlists of each book did not transfer over. As a result for each disc of each book just the tracks that make up each disc show up on iTunes as numbered as Track 1, Track 2, etc with no identification of which disc they come from and what the book actually is. As each disc starts from Track 1, and I failed to add anything that identified each book, it means that I now have the major task of identifying each book and working out the sequence of tracks that make up each disc and the order of discs tat make up each book. I think it's going to take me ages. Oh well, I should have added proper identification in the first place.

A few days ago I made four attempts to answer CopCar's question without success and I don't know if that was because of my computer or Blogger itself. So here goes. CopCar asked "Either those Yorkies are smaller than I think of Yorkies being, or Nimrod is, indeed, a mighty hunter--and larger than I had in mind. I'll need to go back for another look at the photo of Nimrod with your hat. Are Yorkies noisy? " What I tried to say was this: I may have exaggerated Nimrod the Mighty Hunter's strength somewhat but he is tough. Also although I've not seen the neighbour's dogs yet from memory Yorkshire Terriers are quite little things. I saw here that on average they are about 6 ins tall and about 7 lbs in weight, although I am sure I have seen adult Yorkies that are smaller than that. Anyway Ce Sera sera.

I have several letters to write now the computer is working. So Buffy and Peter (my cousin) -expect notes from me in the next few days.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, Val, if the Yorkies are that small, I'll grant that Nimrod might, indeed, take them apart. Obviously, I'm no expert on canines. Thanks for adding to my knowledge.
Cop Car

Adele said...

CopCar. They are very, very small. However I suspect that is just new neibour paranoia setting in (i.e. expecting to do something wrong that will affect their perceptions of you for the whole time we are neighbours).

Oh, and these dogs don't seem as yappy as some of their breed.

Adele said...

Oh dear, my spelling! Neighbour not neibour.

Comes of writing this while on the phone talking to my mother.

Anonymous said...

How is your mother doing?
CC

Adele said...

Not very well, I'm afraid. She's under a lot of pain which the doctors haven't been able to sort out. They gave her a morphine-based painkiller and she had a major reaction to it. She just seemed to lose her mind, she was totally confused and unable even to work out the time of day or what was the day itself. I was ringing her up and she was falling asleep while talking to me. They've taken her off the drug now but she's still a bit confused and not as she was. One feels so helpless as there is absolutely nothing I can do about the situation.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear this, Val. All the best wishes for your mother's well-being.
Cop Car