Friday, October 06, 2006

Many thanks for all the kind comments about my mother. Her health remains very poor at the moment, there seems to have been very little improvement since she went into the hospital and she seems likely to be in there for some time to come.

Anyway life is still going on, sort of, although the news in that front isn't good. The rest of us are all fine. The Stepson is back at university, having started his third year there. The Stepdaughter is very busy, studying yet more insurance exams and dealing with one of the plane crashes that has happened recently (she is in avation insurance). The Husband is fine, though he is starting to develop a real interest in Wagner's Operas, especially the Ring cycle. I'm not all that enthused - before I was married I had a boyfriend who used to take me to Covent Garden and this has left me with a dislike of all sorts of opera. Still, I normally just duck into another room when he is watching a DVD of a Wagnerian opera, so that works out fine.

The evening classes in curtain-making have been a disappointment as they have changed their structure and focus completely over how they were done last year. I am going to have to work out what I am going to do with all that fabric I bought before I broke my finger, so I'll let you know when I've reached a decision, which isn't yet as other things are filling my mind.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Val, you're SO discreet when you blog. I need to take lessons. I'd be grousing and whining and generally going "Woe is me!" But you are so laid back. *G*

I'm really sorry to hear that your mother has not recovered. I know it's hard for you to live away from your mother while she needs you.

Your stepchildren sound well settled. I hope they both have a good year.

I think Dear Husband and I may go to an opera this year. I gave him the choice of Die Fledermaus and Cosi fan Tutti, and of course, he chose Cosi fan Tutti. Opera is not his favorite medium, so I'm surprised that he agreed to go.

That's too bad about the curtain making class. I bought the fabric for a class on a crazy quilted tunic, and then the class was cancelled. If I had more time, I know I could do the research and do this on my own. Until then, the fabric is sitting in a box on my shelves. I wish you better luck with your curtains.

Buffy

Anonymous said...

Val--It is certainly understandable that you have things on your mind other than the fabric. Your mother is undoubtedly occupying the major portion of your thinking, right now. Thinking of you and your family!
Cop Car

Anonymous said...

Val--I'll listen to your selection of music any time. There are operatic selections that I enjoy, and I used to be able to listen to opera on the radio while driving (I still would, if a local station supplied it) for about an hour on a Saturday; but, I prefer orchestral, too. You didn't include it in your listing, but I also enjoy jazz--particularly jazz that borders on opera (go figure that!)

I'm thinking that there is no real push on the curtains--that they will still be there for your consideration at a later date when other things are not pressing. I have a much greater appreciation of my mother's wonderful qualities, now that she has been gone these 12 years. It sounds like you have sorted out your conflicted feelings, better than I did--while your mother still lives. You seem very wise, to me.
CC

Adele said...

CopCar,

Yes, I have to admit that there are many Operatic arias that I really love. As far as Opera in its entirety is concerned it's mainly the pretentiousness of so many Opera buffs that really puts me off.

As far as jazz is concerned Yes, there are many types that I also love, for example the "cool" types like Dave Brubeck. I'm not so keen of Trad jazz - like Kenny Ball's Jazz Band.

As far as the curtains are concerned all the fabric and associated "stuff" is sitting in the corner ready for me to get back to it when I feel ready to do so. My mother's well-being is more important at the moment.