Friday, July 01, 2005

We spend HOW much on lawns

I see from today's edition of the Telegraph that the British spent £392 million last year on their lawns. This sum flabbergasts me. But then I have no idea just how much we spend altogether on our gardens and indoor houseplants. I suspect that it is much more than this.

Looking after a lawn so that it is a pristine piece of greensward tends to be a bloke thing. There does tend to be a certain type of man who works on his lawn but does not have anything to do with any other part of his garden, leaving that to his wife. I well remember the character in "Blott on the Landscape" who was an absolute bore about caring for his lawn and had no other subject of conversation.

I have to admit that our own lawn is a bit of a disgrace, full of clover and with quite a few bumps in it. The Husband and I prefer working on the flower beds to obsessing on our lawn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose that I'm in the minority, but I appreciate a bit of white clover in a lawn. It probably reminds me of my childhood when I had favored patches of clover (nevermind the bee stings that accrued from my stepping on the little darlings.)
Cop Car

Adele said...

I'm not too keen on clover, but what I really do love and wished we had is a lawn with daisies. Talk about a true architype of an English garden.