Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Su Doku

Cop Car was asking what is Su Doku. Well, it's an absolute craze over here and totally addictive. Su Doku puzzles can be found in many of the UK daily newspapers and from the many books of compilations of puzzles currently being published, some of which are now in the UK's bestseller list for books.

Su Doku is a challenge for logic and common sense. There is a grid, 9 squares across and 9 squares down and the challenge is to fill each square with a number between 1 and 9 so that every number appears once in each line whether across or down. Some of the numbers are given and you have to deduce the rest through reasoning and deductuion. It is simple to learn, requires no mathematical calculations and provides a surprisingly wide number of logic situations. It appeals to all ages and, as I have already said, is totally addictive.

Su Doku originated in an American puzzle book in the 1980s and was originally called Number Place. Somehow it migrated to Japan and slightly adapted when it was called "Suuji wa dokushin ni kagiru" and became the most popular number puzzle in Japan.

One thing I have read about Su Doku in a crafting magazine thought that Su Doku had probably originated from a quilting block. I understand that the 9 patch grid is well known in quilting circles.

For access to Su Doku (and a source for puzzles on a weekly basis) try virtually every UK newspaper. I read the Times and so I suggest you try here which also gives hints and tips on how to solve the puzzles. But, as I have already said, once you start the puzzles you get totally addicted. I know I am, as is the Stepson.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If this keeps up, I suggest that you sub-title your blog "Where English is translated into American." I'll take a look at the site, but I cannot imagine being addicted to a puzzle form (although Hunky Husband likes to do crypto-quizzes and crossword puzzles!) Thanks for continuing to educate me.
Cop Car

Anonymous said...

Having browsed through the site that you linked, I've forwarded the link to Hunky Husband. We shall see if he takes the bait!
Cop Car

Adele said...

I hope he likes it!

Anonymous said...

Just before he went to bed (a couple of hours ago), HH brought in the "easy" Su Doku that he had done--from the site that you linked. He was so proud of himself! Let's see if he gets the bug and does more.
Cop Car

Anonymous said...

Su Doku seems to be a hit with Hunky Husband. He's been working them ever since I sent him your link. He's still working the "easy" ones, says he. BTW: a Su Doku book was mentioned on the radio, this morning. I might not even have noticed had you not sensitized me.
Cop Car

Adele said...

I warned you it was addictive. GRIN

Anonymous said...

Hunky Husband is in a really good mood, this morning. When he opened our local newspaper, he found that they have started printing Su Doku puzzles! Without you, Val, he would not have known that such a thing existed. As it is, we (along with many others, I'm sure), responded to the annual survey that the newspaper puts out by asking that Su Dokus be included. Thank you!
Cop Car

Adele said...

Aha! So the addiction spreads to America. Now you will discover what wesuffer from - half of all books published will be compilations of the puzzles, Su Doku appears in every paper, software to generate new puzzles is to be seen on stores shelves and the general output of businesses drops because everyone is doing the blessed things....

OK, a slight exaggeration, but not much...