Friday, September 23, 2005

Art and Confidence

There was an article in The Times newspaper earlier this week which really made me think. It was written by Grayson Perry who recently started a weekly column in the paper's Arts section. In 2003 Grayson Perry won the Turner Prize, the UK’s premier modern art prize. At the time there was a lot of publicity about him winning the Turner prize (but that this publicity was aimed much more at the pink frock that Mr Perry wore to the award ceremony rather than his skills as a potter). Anyway, his columns in The Times are really thought provoking, the one this week is a case in point.

He was discussing the fact that so many people seem to rely on others to tell them what is actually going on, and especially what is beautiful and significant, as they lack the confidence to make up their own minds and to express their own views to the real world. He has a real point. Many seem to prefer to allow “experts” to tell them whether or not, for example, a picture or other work of art is a work of a genius or just a pedestrian work not worthy of real attention. Why can’t people make up their own minds? The answer? They do not have the confidence of their own opinions because they think that if they don’t make sure that what they are admiring is considered by “experts” to be a masterpiece then they are demonstrating their own “ignorance”. But why? The point is that personal views on what is beautiful, ugly or just striking are entirely subjective and will differ from person to person. The picture that you find as beautiful may well be different from the picture that I find really “speaks” to me. Even if you are a real expert at art and know what you are looking at your opinion does not make my own personal choice of art invalid. Surely the only thing that matters is the amount of enjoyment I feel when walking, for example, around an art gallery and find certain pictures that give me pleasure when I look at them.

I am not educated at all in art. But, to paraphrase the ultimate cliché, I do try to look at what gives me pleasure. One thing that just makes me smile however is a trip the Husband and I made to the National Gallery in London last year for an exhibition of pictures and drawings by Raphael. In the exhibition was one picture by Raphael’s father Giovanni Santi. Both of us really admired this picture and spent quite a bit of time looking at it. Interestingly Kenneth Clark, in his masterpiece television series “Civilisation”, describes Santi as a second rate painter. Ha! I have absolutely no intention of withdrawing my own personal opinion of that picture.

It is an odd thing. I lack self-confidence in many ways, especially socially, But where art is concerned I do know what I like.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I do enjoy some of the objects of "fine art", like you, I enjoy other objects of "not-so-fine art" just as much. Much of what pleases me isn't even classifiable as art. No one can dictate to us what we should enjoy, eh?!
Cop Car

Anonymous said...

It frustrates me that quality quilting is not ranked with fine art. I suppose the fact that quilts are functional bars them from that distinction, but I think that perhaps half the quilts made to day are fiber art, rather than bed coverings. Like you, if I found something that I enjoyed, I wouldn't let an "expert" deter me from that enjoyment.

I hadn't thought of that series in ages. I'll have to see if I can find a copy of it at the library and revisit it.

Buffy

Adele said...

Buffy, The trouble is that quilting is considered a "Craft" and as far as the Experts are concerned "Art" and "Craft" are considered two different worlds, the former to be lauded and considered important, the latter to be totally dismissed. Will I sound sexist when I point out that Crafts tend to be considered far more Women's territory, whereas Art is more male dominated (there are only a few women like Barbara Hepworth in that field...)?

Adele said...

A new DVD boxed set of Civilisation came out recently, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find. Wonderful lessons and pictures, but we do choke a bit on some of the comments (which are now quite non p.c.).

Adele said...

CopCar, You are right. It is up to the individual to decide what pleases them and they enjoy. Unfortunately that is a great Art establishment willing to tell you what is good (by their terms) and what is not.

Anonymous said...

All together now, let's say to the "Art experts": GARBAGE!
Cop Car