Thursday, November 17, 2005

Curry

My forehead is covered with perspiration...
my nose is running...
my tongue is on fire...
my breathing is harsh...
my temperature is too high...
and I think the wax in my ears is melting....

just what is it about men and Curry?

When the Husband handed me lunch today he said, rather grimly, "I deliberately made it mild for you". Well you could have fooled me. One bite of the chicken curry he had made and the top of my head almost hit the ceiling. And I felt hotter and hotter as I struggled to finish the gargantuan portion he had made me (he always has a slight problem over portion sizes, often a single portion of the meals he makes is enough for two or three).

I am convinced though that many men have a view of curry that says "the hotter the better". It is a total cliche over here that young men who have been out drinking then go to the nearest Indian take-away for a hot curry - and they compete on who can eat the hottest. Well, I'm afraid I prefer some subtly to taste than just heat in the curries I eat. It also isn't, I believe, a traditional Indian thing to go for very hot curries. I can remember that sometime ago I worked in a building adjacent to Waterloo Station in London (the building now overlooks Waterloo International) and one member of the team was a really nice Indian lady of ~ahem~ somewhat mature years. One lunchtime we all went out to an Indian restaurant close to the office building and the men there insisted on ordering. The curry that appeared was too hot for the Indian lady, and she told us that she didn't know one Indian person who would eat a curry that hot.

The husband made the curry with some left-over chicken and various bits in the fridge and store-cupboard. For two portions he used four big fat cloves of garlic. Well, it should keep the vampires away, I suppose.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HH will not touch Indian-style foods, so when I make it (once very fifth year), I must consume it before he comes home from his trip. I do like curries!
Cop Car

Adele said...

I have to admit that I like the occasional curry - provided that it is mild. Very hot curries or dishes with lots of chillies in are not my favourite. The Husband, however, likes such things as hot as possible especially if he is cooking the dish. Oh well, different tastes...

Anonymous said...

Dear Husband and his son aren't afraid of "hot" but DH doesn't care for curry. We eat an amazingly international diet, but there's nary a curry to be seen. I doubt seriously that I would have enjoyed something so hot it melted my ear wax. *G*

Buffy

Adele said...

I must admit I quite like Indian food. But the curries served by Indian restaurants can be quite mild by comparison with those made by the Husband. His are just too hot for me.