Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Interesting Websites

There are a few websites and blogs that I've either just found or look at on a regular basis that I thought worth while mentioning here. Eventually I will burrow through the depths of this blog's software to add them to the list of Interesting Sites but until then - here they are.

Mentioned in today's Times T2 supplement was the getcrafty site which looks a lot of fun. I've deliberately started by linking to the Editor's page as her writing seems quite inspirational for those who love crafts of all sorts.

I am a great fan of the author Jenny Cruisie and have read virtually all of her books, like "Manhunting", "Strange Bedfellows", "Welcome to Temptation", "Faking It" and "Bet Me". She writes well and with wit, romatic books which are more than just romances. And she has a new blog that I love reading. It is called Argh Ink and sets out the life of a published and well regarded writer who is also trying to deal with her own life and family and to cope with the ex-Special services author that she is collaborating with on a book called "Agnes and the Hitman. Or as he likes to call it "Shane and the Food Columnist". She cooks, he kills, they have great sex. And the shoes are to die for. Literally." The blog is funny and human and I love reading it. And it is the sort of blog that you can read every post from the beginning and really enjoy.

Another author I really like is Mary Janice Davidson, whose book about a smart-alec female vampire Betsy "Undead and Unwed" is one of the funniest books I think I have read for a long time. Its sequel "Undead and Unemployed" is equally as good. I am frustrated that I have to wait until 2006 for the next books in this series to come out in paperback. But I now have some of her other books. Anyway the author has a blog called MJ's Musings which I also love to read.

Finally another blog, this time one on knitting. Stephanie Pearl-Mcphee is passionate about knitting. And yarn. Somehow much of her life revolves about these pasttimes in a funny and vey human way. Her blog Yarn Harlot is another one I look at daily.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Val, would you answer a question for me that is so basic that I haven't found a real answer, yet--on knitting. Instructions blithly say, "Attach yarn". The first few times I've had to do that, I actually tied a knot (then worked the tails of yarn in); but, then I decided to just leave a length of yarn, use the new yarn in the next stitch, and continue knitting (working in the tail ends). What do real knitters do?
Cop Car

Adele said...

CopCar,

I don't suggest that you use a knot in the yarn as it could work loose. Also the knot may well work through to the right side of the knitting, disrupting the surface of the knitting.

When I was a girl my mother and several of her friends used to layer the end of the new ball of yarn with the end of the old yarn and knit the two ends of yarn together for a couple of stitches and then continue just with the new ball of yarn. Many knitting pundits frown on this practice as it too can disturn the appearance of the finished garment but I see nothing wrong with the practice provided that it looks right from the right side of theknitted fabric.

My favourite method of joining a new ball of yarn to my knitting is at the edge of the knitting. I finish one row with the old ball of yarn and start the next row with the new ball. This works very well, I find, and the finished garment is much less unslightly as all the sewn-in ends are caught up in the seams.

There is another way, combining the old yarn with the new one so that it looks like one yarn. It isn't a method I use but if you are interested in learning about it I will dig out the instructions for the method and send them to you. I must admit, however, that I have never needed to use it when I am knitting.

Anonymous said...

Ah! Thank you, Val. Especially for the suggestions to use both yarns for a couple or few stitches and for the suggestion of actually splicing the yarns together. (I think that I can figure out how to splice the yarns together--from having dealt with splicing of steel cables for aircraft control systems.)

We have a medical professional, Kay, in town, who was born in the northern part of England. (She taught a class on health services for the Red Cross last night, and is to teach another session, today. ) She complimented me on my shawl (poncho), and we talked about handiwork for a while (she crochets). Kay seemed amused by my having a knitting mentor in England. See how you spice up my life?
Cop Car

Anonymous said...

I'm delighted to find that Jenney Cruise has a blog! I've added it to my favorites and I'll have to get T to add it to my blogroll. I don't think I've read anything by Mary Janice Davidson. I'll have to order one of her books right away. I know how closely aligned our tastes in books are, so it's a safe bet I'll love her books too. Thanks for the tips, Val!

Buffy

Adele said...

CopCar,

I'm a bit bemused at your plans to work out how to splice yarn together from splicing steel cables together but if it works for you... ~grin~

It is good that you have managed to find another knitter and from Northern England. It is a bit odd that I provide you with advice from the other side of the pond but if it works and we both enjoy the experience (as I certainly do) why not!

Adele said...

Buffy, If you want to try one of Mary Janice Davidson's book I suggest that you start with "Undead and Unwed", the story of Betsy, the vampire with a serious passion for shoes. It really is very funny and well worth reading.

Anonymous said...

Val--Unfortunately, Kay does not live in this area (her home is about 150 miles from here), and she is a crocheter rather than a knitter; but, we had a lovely chat. I doubt that you appreciate how much help you've given me. When we have small exchanges, spread over a few months, the benefits don't draw attention--not as they would if we sat down together for actual "lessons". Your help has been/is valuable. Thank you!

Bought some DK (which I just realized stands for "double knitting", by looking at the label) yarn for a lacy poncho that I wish to make as a gift. If I run into trouble, expect to get emails sizzling across the Atlantic! *grinning*
Cop Car

Adele said...

CopCar,

Thank you for your thanks, said blushing. I am glad to help. Anytime.

Double Knitting is the most used yarn/wool used in knitting, although, of course, there are lots of other sorts and weights too. Certainly I learnt to knit using DK yarn and as I think about it many, many things I have knitted over the years have been DK weight. Looking at knitting patterns on the web I rather get the impression that in the US Aran weight yarn (what you would call worsted) is the most commonly used. Well, in the UK DK is you American's worsted. If it is "normal" DK (i.e. not a fancy yarn of DK weight) you should not have any difficulty with it at all. If you do though - just cry for help.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. It is just "normal" DK--black--and if I have problems, it won't be the yarn's fault. You will here my cry, though, if I need help!
Cop Car

Anonymous said...

Hear, Cop Car, not here!!