Thursday, December 08, 2005

Exercising Indoors - Hmm

Wednesday of last week I had an appointment with the asthma Consultant at the local hospital. I've been seeing him every so often since my asthma was diagnosed a couple of years ago. When I saw him last February he said that he wanted me to lose a stone (14 lbs) by the time he saw me at the end of November. Well, I tried hard and lost about half a stone. Then I got ill and the shingles lasted for quite a while. So I put on again the weight that I had lost. Anyway, when I saw him last week he said that I definitely need exercise to improve my asthma. However, he thought that major exercising outdoors isn't a good idea for me and said that I need to find a way to exercise indoors. So he started talking about gyms. Immediately he said this I felt a little concerned because to me gyms and sports centres are meant more for the young, slim and fit to use for body maintenance, not an overweight woman of 54 who doesn't exercise. PE classes at school were definitely not my best subject.

Pondering the situation subsequently I've bought a couple of exercise DVDs which are currently winging their way to me through the post (thank goodness for Amazon.co.uk). I've also looked on the Net and discovered that it is possible to join a special programme of exercising at the local council's sports centre. You need to be referred by your GP for this and as soon as my GP returns to the fold (he is on holiday this week) I will make an appointment to see him about it.

I hope it works out. Exercising isn't something I've ever done, though for several years I did do some yoga positions every morning before work. I stopped doing them some time ago. Perhaps I should restart them again.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The special programme of exercising at the local council's sports centre sounds perfect, Val. The fitness center that I've been using for the last 6 1/2 years is a community place supported, in part, by tax funds. There are single and family memberships available--with or without indoor swimming pool privileges. I buy an annual, single membership for about US $250. If they offer a class that I wish to take, it costs US $40-$60. Classes are offered in fitness training and in crafts (Elegant Friend and I took a couple of courses in pottery making.)

When I was employed, I had to attend the fitness center in the evening--at which time the place was crowded with younger people. Now that I may attend during the day, the place is populated with a generally older group. We even have people come to the fitness center dragging their oxygen tanks with them!! Obviously, I have no problem with the shape of my body at this fitness center (though I am a bit envious of some of the other exercisers--younger or older!) Hopefully, your special programme will afford you a comfortable alternative.
Cop Car

Adele said...

Cop Car,

I have to admit that the cost of joining a gym did cross my mind when the consultant suggested joining one. You hear all these cases of people who join never going. There are several privately-owned gyms locally but they do tend to be expensive. Given I am retired from work I tend to have to be a bit careful over spending money unnecessarily. Also I come from a family, and have also married into a family, that never does anything "sporty" either.

However, I am going to give it a try. I shall make an appointment to see my GP this week and the execise DVDs arrived yesterday.

I really need to do this. And it is helpfl to know that I am not the only person doing it.

Thanks for your encouragement.

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Val, and you make a good point about not using a facility enough to incur the cost. The only trouble I've had on that front was about 20 years ago when I lived in Albuquerque. I joined a privately-owned Nautilus center that was within walking distance of my home (a bit over 1 mile)--taking out a "life" membership. What I failed to consider was that the membership might terminate with the life of the center rather than with my life. The center went out of business within a few months!! Good luck to you in your endeavor!
Cop Car

Adele said...

Oh no! If that happened to me I would have been so angry and annoyed. I suppose that the place wasn't part of a chain, so you could approach the head office to claim your money back? How frustrating for you!

Anyway, last Monday I spoke to my GP and have a referral to the local Council's sports centre and on Tuesday I am going for an "assessment" on my fitness and possibly my diet. Then I'll see just what I have to do to get fit.

Anonymous said...

Well, it was a Nautilus franchise--but locally owned, so no recourse.

Let's hope that your fitness level is higher than you think!
Cop Car

Adele said...

Basically what he did yesterday was to work out my current weight, BMI and a benchmark for my fitness level. I start everything on 3rd January when he shows me how to use all the equipment and gives me a gadget that plugs into each item of the equipment in the gym and displays exactly what I have to do on each (and records it all so that they can monitor how much work I have done and what progress I have made). Sounds like I shall have a healthy New Year.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, Val, that sounds like fun. Go, girl, go!!
Cop Car

Anonymous said...

Just checking out blogs, and thought I would stop and read yours since we have some of the same interests and ideas. Some ideas are a little much and some are right on. I am glad I stopped by just to say hi I hope you don't mind. Some people consider it spam I DON'T but if they don't want people to post why do they leave it open for the world to see. I have some great wedding information and articles available for free around 2000 savings ideas so stop on in if you want... I also have some of the most informative sites on yoga and baby gifts and baby showers. Hope you enjoy. Thank you.perfect it yoga clothes

perfect it yoga clothes