Saturday, December 16, 2006

Here is a qote from Thursday's Telegraph newspaper:-

US Puzzled by Princes' English
Princes William and Harry were subtitled when a recorded interview with them talking about the concert in memory of their mother was shown on American television because station officials thought viewers would not understand what they were saying.
CBS used subtitles when the princes were asked how people could get tickets. William says: 'They have to be very good and ask Santa nicely.' Harry interrupts: 'Or ring his mobile.'
William responds: 'Harry, shut up!' CBS said: 'They speak so quickly.'


I know I have made comments before about two Nations divided by a single language but both Princes speak received English and if British tv programmes and films are shown in the US without subtitles then I am sure that the lads could be understood.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Without having heard the broadcast, it would be well for me to keep my mouth closed; but, I cannot imagine what CBS was thinking. Do they think that all of us Americans are too stupid to understand a slightly different accent? Now, if the lads were Aussies.... *laughing*
Cop Car

Anonymous said...

Val, CBS may have been going a bit overboard. We might have difficulty now and then with a Scots or Irish accent, but I think most of us can understand what the princes said. I'd say that our slang divides us more than our accents.

Buffy

Adele said...

I suspect that the fault lies more with CBS officials rather than with what the Princes were saying. But we all had a grin about it over here.

Anonymous said...

Thank you (nationally) for grinning rather than writing us off for the stupid oafs that CBS portrays us to be! I should have expected any less from you Brits?
CC