Tuesday, June 12, 2007

It always astounds me that the hardy geranium in the front garden does so well. I've said before that the front garden is incredibly dry and open to the elements. Well, this geranium is actually up against the front wall of the house - and the experts always say that you should never plant anything directly against a wall as it will be too dry. But other than a couple of handfuls of pelletted chicken manure in the Spring, if I remember,
and the odd watering can of water when it's been very very dry for quite a while I totally neglect the plants. And you can see how well they are doing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The photos are of geraniums? I know little-to-nothing about plants; but these look nothing like my mother's geraniums--in form or in color. Perhaps my memories have become scrambled on this (too!) Beautiful plant and blossoms, you have there!
Cop Car

Adele said...

CopCar,

The subject of geraniums and pelargoniums is always enough to give me a headache as I always get confused between the two. Yes, my plant is definitely a hardy geranium, one of the cranesbill ones. If your mother's plant isn't this shape then it's probably one of the plants that are called pelargoniums. For more see Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geranium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelargonium

Anonymous said...

THis is a BEAUTIFUL plant, Adele! We call it cranesbill (or hardy geranium). I love the color on this particular plant.

Isn't it fun to find a plant that loves where it's growing, and does well? Cop Car's daughter, Bogie, posted about an unusual bleeding heart. You might find the story interesting.

Buffy