Monday, June 18, 2007

A National Shortage

I'm not finding it at all easy to read at the moment but I do attempt to read The Times, the daily paper that is delivered to our house each morning. I am tending to skim over much of the paper at the moment, especially those subjects that are discussed fully on the tv news but sometimes items are included in the paper that I just have to read in full. This was true on Saturday when I discovered the dramatic news that the UK is currently suffering a national shortage.... of ukuleles!

The full article can be found here but here is part of the article:

Music shops are reporting a national shortage of ukuleles after being caught out by a surprise British love affair with the Hawaiian instrument.
The four-stringed, instrument, beloved of George Formby and George Harrison, has become so popular in recent months that Chinese manufacturers cannot keep up with demand.
A ship of ukuleles is currently on its way to Britain from Shanghai, Britain’s main importer told The Times, but shops from London to Sheffield are warning customers not to expect new stock until next month.

However can we wait?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm......

Do I need to go out and corner the market on ukuleles?? *G*

Interesting, quirky, bit of news, Adele.

Buffy

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...if you can get a very good price, I'll ship you mine. It should fetch a handsome fee since it is 53 years old!
Cop Car
P.S. One of the nicest things Hunky Husband ever did for me was to, on the sly, have my uke re-glued. The uke was a gift from my elder brother, so means much to me--even if I can't/don't play the darned thing. It is in the front room with the piano.

Anonymous said...

What a thoughtful gift! Adele....now you can tell all those purchasers of ukes that you know someone, who knows someone....when they need to get their ukes reglued!

Of course, there will be a small delay, and a huge fee involved in sending them to the USA. Maybe it would be cheaper to buy a new one when the glue goes.

Buffy

Adele said...

I love reading quirky articles in papers as it helps to balance all the serious things that the pundits like to get so pompous about. I'm glad you enjoy such things too.

Perhaps CopCar you should post your uk on ebay.co.uk. If there is such a demand for them at the moment you sould get a very good price!