Monday, March 10, 2008

The other day I’d moaned like the dickens here when virtually everything that could have gone wrong in my life did, although it was just lots of little things. I’m feeling a lot more cheerful now, although I can’t think of anything in particular that happened. I just got on with things and it all got better.

Last Thursday, though, I didn’t spend all day alone after all, because the Husband did a real Man thing. Last year he walked a minimum of 16 – 18 miles every day and became really fit. He stopped walking last October and winter put him off walking. As the weather has started to improve and the first vestiges of spring started to appear he decided that now was the time to start walking again. So, last Tuesday he walked 8 miles. And in the evening he complained that his feet hurt but that didn’t stop him walking 16 miles on Wednesday. He could hardly walk by the evening and was little better on Thursday morning. So he decided just to go up to London for the evening concert as he wasn’t up to walking around London and walking around exhibitions. So I wasn’t alone all day Thursday after all.

Friday I was, as he had another concert in the evening and felt able to walk during the day. But I wasn’t feeling down and enjoyed the solitude. I also managed to watch a DVD I was given for Christmas but that the Husband didn’t want to watch.

Sunday was nice as I am a member of the Crimson Crumblies, the Red Hat chapter based in Chelmsford and yesterday was the chapter’s third birthday and we all went around to our Queen’s house for tea and chatter. There was about 12 – 13 of us there, some of our members couldn’t make it, and a good time was had by all.

Today is not a nice day to be out as GB is being lashed by heavy rain and high winds. I was woken by the weather early this morning and it hasn't abated. We are staying indoors today in the dry and the warm. The only flaw at this moment is that the Husband is listening to Berg, not my idea of fun.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've not a clue who/what this Berg is to whom your Husband is listening; but, I definitely understand what you meant about his doing a man thing. It doesn't occur to a man that it is better to ease into large undertakings. Would it kill a man to walk 1 mile the first day, two the second, three the third, ad 16? Of course not! Sympathies to you. *grin*
Cop Car
P.S. How are the camellias doing?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Adele said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adele said...

CopCar,

Alban Berg was an Austrian composer who died in 1935 and had been a pupil of Schoenberg. I've never liked atonality and try to avoid his music when I can. More about him at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alban_Berg.

The Husband has a "Big Bang" approach to things. He doesn't ease into things, or do a little at a time. No, he likes to do it all at once. Hence his sore feet.

The camellias are looking battered. We had some heavy frosts last week, heavy gales yesterday and more expected today and tomorrow.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Adele, I'm glad you had some company over the weekend. There are times when I wish Dear Husband was around, but mostly, I've adjusted to his boating absences. I've found lots of ways to fill my time, but the time between dinner and bedtime can be the most difficult to fill.

It just amazes me how far your husband walks! Even at four mph, that's four and a half hours of walking! My feet are crying at the thought of all that abuse. Yet.....he lost all that weight. Too bad there isn't a happy medium somewhere, happy feet and still loosing weight.

THe Crimson Crumblies party sounded like fun. Happy Red Hat anniversary!
Buffy

Adele said...

Buffy,

I normally don't mind being alone. I suspect that this is because I spent about 10 years living alone before I got married. I was moaning really that I hadn't anything to do to take me out of the house, I think. I just felt a little stifled over being indoors so much of the time. But that feeling is over now.

Last year the Husband was walking between 16 - 20 miles every afternoon and he could walk 16 miles in three and a half hours. He walks very fast, much too fast for me to keep up. He hasn't got that fast yet this year but he'll soon be up to his old speeds, with a bit more practice.