Saturday, August 05, 2006

The Husband and I reek of garlic at the moment. After weeks of hot weather and high humidity I've been looking for cooling summer recipes - there is a limit to the amount of salads you can eat, day after day for weeks on end. So I went looking for a good cooling recipe that didn't take too much cooking and found one in Delia Smith's book on "Soups" that I tried on Thursday. Basically it is half a pint of natural unsweetened yoghurt put in a blender with two peeled and sliced cucumbers, 5 fl oz of soured cream and garlic cloves, blended until smooth and then seasoned, put in a tureen add 2 teaspoons of chopped mint stir and then chill until really cold and then serve.

Anyway, the blessed Delia always suggests too small portions of garlic - for example she suggests 1 clove in her Minestrone recipe when I find we need 5-6 cloves. So with this I used about 5 good sized cloves which proved far too much and so it's a good thing that we both ate it. However, the recipe is nice and refreshing in this hot weather and I'll certainly try it again only with slightly less garlic.

Oh, her recipe also suggests adding 2 tablespoons of lemon juice - not a good idea as it curdles the mixtrue, although it makes no difference to the taste.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your barley soup and your brownies are quite enjoyable, Val. Thank you for sharing this cooling recipe; but, it is one that I shall probably forego. First, it would clog my arteries with cream, then, it would assault my digestion with scads of garlic! Hmmm...wonder if it would work with a couple of minor alterations? The cucumber/yogurt does sound tempting! Maybe with some celery thrown in? Now we have gone and excited my taste buds! Thank you.
Cop Car

Adele said...

CopCar, the good thing about this recipe is that it is easy to adapt easily. For a start I used low fat yoghurt with few calories and not much fat. I can't see why you couldn't forgoe the soured cream, reduce the amount of garlic and add other ingredients, like as you suggest celery.

I decided to try the recipe because it reminder me so much of Raita, which is, of course, a wonderful integral part of an Indian meal.

I hope you can find a version of the soup that is right for you.

The Husband has suggested that we have some Gazpacho so I am off to try and find a suitable recipe.

Adele said...

CopCar,

Looking for a Gazacho recipe I found another recipe for Yogurt and Cucumber soup which used, in addition to the cucumbers, chives and half a green pepper, chopped. Sounds nice.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the second recipe for yogurt/cucumber soup does sound coolingly delicious. I'll need to try it!
CC

Adele said...

I look forward to hearing what you think of it once you have actually tasted it.