Friday, August 18, 2006

What a Week

This has been one of those weeks when all I've wanted to do was to hide in bed and pull the duvet over my head. Nothing seriously wrong, just a lot of niggles.

It all started on Sunday evening. I'd cooked a meal for the three of us (the Stepson is with us for the moment) of a chicken roast in the oven with batons of leeks and, when cooked, the flesh of the bird, the leeks and the juice from the chicken all mixed with some cooked tagliatelli - quick, easy and nothing one would think to hurt one. However while I was eating there was a crunch and one of my crowns came away, leaving a nasty hole and no existing molars on the upper left side of my mouth.

Monday I had an appointment at the glaucoma clinic at St Thomas' Hospital, on the banks of the Thames for a regular check-up. They checked my pressures and they were fine at 18, which was a relief because at an appoinment at my opticians a couple of months ago they were worried about my pressures - fortunately a false alarm. Then after the fields test they took a picture of the back of both eyes. To do this eye drops are used to dilate my pupils and then a sort of flash camera is used. The outcome of this, though, is that afterwards I can't see properly for at least 4 hours. In particular any sort of light is very difficult and I cannot focus to read anything other than the largest of print. The Husband had promised that he would come up and meet me after the hospital appointment to help me home. Unfortunately when I finished he wasn't there and when I rang he said that he had decided not to leave home. So I ended up wandering around central London, fortunately cloudy and no sun, for about 4 hours until I could see well enough to find my way home.

Tuesday was the trip to the dentist where I discovered that my very good dentist is on holiday. The new one there was very complementary about my regular one's skills (he called the crown that had come adrift a "minor miracle") and didn't want to do anything to the tooth in case my own dentist could repair it somehow. So the hole in my mouth continues. My new appointment is at the end of the month.

Wednesday I felt grumpy, and generally rested after the tiredness and tensions of the previous two days.

Thursday was nice as the Stepdaughter came around in the evening . The Husband made a paella which tasted nice and we all watched "Topsy Turvey" about the writing and first performance of Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Mikado".

This morning the digestion of both the Husband and myself is not working properly - presumably the paella. (The Stepdaughter has just phoned up and she is having problems too - almost definitely the paella.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow, Owwwwwwwww! I SO commiserate about the broken crown, and even more about the delay in getting it fixed. I've experienced that, and it's simply no fun. You have to eat differently, and it has an effect on everything. I hope your favorite dentist is able to work miracles when he finally returns.

You are so much more adventurous than I am. I probably wouldn't have wandered around London until my eyesight returned. I might have found a comfortable corner somewhere and stayed put until my eyes were cooperating. I'm glad you made it home safely.

Bummer, about the paella. It doesn't take much for a meal to go wonky. Isn't it amazing that it happens so rarely? I hope you're all feeling better.

Buffy

Adele said...

Buffy, to be perfectly honest it wasn't so much adventurousness that sent me out into the streets of London, it was sheer pragmatism. There is a major building project going on at the hospital,so all the usual spots where one could sit had disappeared, or I couldn't find them. Also I worked for the better part of 30 years in that part of London so I knew all the surrounding roads very weel. And although it is 2 years since I took early retirement they hadn't changed much at all.

The tooth I've just got to live with. It's not too uncomfortable. The tummy problem from the paella seems to have finally sorted itself out this afternoon after an unconfortable weekend. Just as well as I had a phone call from my brother midday today to say my mother isn't well so I am off to Wales tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Goodness! I hope that your mother finds her way to good health, shortly, Val. (And that you can get your crown back ship-shape!)
Cop Car

Adele said...

There is no real change in my mother's health - she has a number of chronic illnesses that go on and on. Every so often someone gets a bit worked up about her situation and things work up to a climax. This was one of those situations. Life goes on...

Asfar as the tooth is concerned my very good dentis returns from his holiday in a few days and I see him at the end of the month. I can hardly wait.