Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Today




I sometimes feel it would be nice to take pictures every day of my life to give myself a real record of my life. So I think I am going to try this, I think, not as a New Year resolution (a bit late for that and I don't really believe in them anyway) but just as something new and, I hope, interesting in my life.

So here are two pictures of the garden as seen from the sitting room and taken 90 minutes apart. The forecast is for much more snow and ice over the next couple of days. What fun, I don't think.

My garden always looks unkempt during the winter because I work on the principle that if I leave all the old plant material in place until the Spring then the palnts get a little extra protection during frost and cold spells. (Well, that's my excuse anyway, .)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee, Val, if it helps any, my vote is for your principle on old plant material to be considered fact. Your garden is so green!!
Cop Car

Adele said...

CopCar,

Well, yes. I'm a bit confused. Isn't your garden green? At least under any snow or other weather-induced conditions?

Anonymous said...

Oh, my, no. We do have plants (evergreens) that stay green during the winter; but, most just die off, above ground. That is our weather-induced condition: die-off. Our own grass stays "green-ish" during the winter, because we have a cold-weather grass (fescue/bluegrass mix). In the countryside, the winter wheet shoots are green. However, most of the countryside turns various shades of brown, and many of the lawns are also brown because the grass has gone dormant.
CC

Adele said...

Ah, I didn't realise, I'm sorry. It comes from being raised in a country that is green all year round.

In winter our grass just used to lie dormant but still green. The past couple of winters though the grass hasn't stopped growing over winter which is why my own garden looks so unkempt.

Anonymous said...

Your excuse of "unkept" is that things keep growing. My excuse is that things just die!
CC
BTW: We grow wheat in Kansas--not "wheet", as I wrote!