Thursday, February 01, 2007




I walked this afternoon to Oaklands Park Museum. It's actually two museums in one: the Chelmsford (local) museum with displays covering the archaeology and natural and social history of the immediate area; and the Essex Regiment Museum. I must admit that I have never been in the latter as military history isn't really an interest of mine. The local museum, though I like to pop in every few weeks. In addition to the usual local things there is a room with a significant sized collection of 18th century drinking glasses which I always find fascinating. They also have 1 or 2 rooms where they have visiting exhibitions too, which I always try to see. I took the external shot of the building from one side. It's a bit early in the year for the flower beds to be full of flowers, however two of the beds were very interesting. Both were full of ornamental cabbages and have a real visual impact at this time of the year.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are doing so well with your new camera, Val. Great photos. Since I really enjoy greens of all types, to eat, one year I grew some kale. It grew well into our winter--mostly because I found it to be not to my liking. The ornamental kales/cabbages live up to the name, though.
Cop Car

Adele said...

CopCar, I found myself grinning at your commenta bout kale. When my brother and I were both children my mother used to get very frustrated because my brother didn't like any vegetable at all - he hated them all. I, however, loved all vegetables. Then she discovered kale and, guess what he liked it! Only trouble was - it turned o0ut to be the only vegetable I didn't like. (grin)

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! Thanks for the laugh.
CC

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful picture. I don't think I've ever seen Kale planted in Spring here.

I used it in the pots in our entryway for my Mother's open house in early December. It did well despite a snowfall the day before.

You can EAT kale??? EWWWWWWWW!

Buffy

Adele said...

Buffy, yes, Kale is a vegetable and can be eaten, well at least the type sold as a veg. Having said that I can't remember seeing it for sale as such for some years. I suspect that this is one vegetable that has fallen out of culinary fashion.

Ornamental cabbages aren't something I would grow at home but I will admit that they can look attractive as set out in the flower bed at the museum.