Saturday, April 21, 2007



This week the Husband and I went up to London and to Tate Britain to an exhibition of the works of William Hogarth. It's interesting, Hogarth died in 1764 but despite all those years the subjects of his real paintings remain true to life and the characters of many look like someone who you might meet today. Of his portraits the most interesting are of the sitters who came from what we would nowadays call "middle rank" or else working class - one of my favourites was of Hogarth's servants and I've managed to find a tiny picture of it.

Of course Hogarth isw best remembered for his series such as "the Rakes Progress" and "The Harlot's Progress" and these works were fascinating too. But the trouble is that none of these were huge works and the amount of detail in each required very close inspection which I was unable to do in the crowded galleries. Despite this I enjoyed them too.

No comments: