Saturday, May 05, 2007

Free Knitting Pattern: My Second Red Hat Scarf

After making my first red hat scarf I started on my second. And here it is, complete with the pattern. The good thing is that the pattern I used isn't difficult at all and you can do so many different things with it. I am considering, some time in the future, using the same pattern but no Contrast yarn, instead adding perhaps beads at each of the bottom edges.

I've started thinking about my third scarf. I've bought the yarn and have found an interesting pattern. Today I shall do the tension square so I can see how what I've imagined actually looks like in real life.

Yarn
1 100g ball Sirdar Country Style 4 ply yarn - roughly US fingering weight (M)
1 50g ball Wendy Cosmic yarn (C)
pair of 4 mm knitting needles

Tension
2 repeats of pattern = 3.5 ins (9 cm)
8 rows of M + one repeat of C = 2 5 ins/4cm

The Pattern

C.O. 40 sts (multiple of 13 sts + 1)
Knit in pattern as follows:

Using M and Pattern 1:
Row 1: (RS) *K1, YO, K4, K2tog, sl 1, K1, psso, K4, YO; rep from * to last st, K1
Row 2: K1, P to last st, K1.

Repeat Pattern 1 four times (8 rows). Then put colour M to one side (don’t break the yarn, just thread it up the side of the knitting)

Using C and Pattern 2
Row 1: (RS) *K1, YO, K4, K2tog, sl 1, K1, psso, K4, YO; rep from * to last st, K1
Row 2: K to end
Row 3: as Row 1 of Pattern 2
Row 4: as Row 2 of Pattern 2

Repeat these 12 rows FOUR more times. Then using M and following only Pattern 1 continue to work until the piece is 22 ins long. Break the yarn and place the stitches on a stitch holder.
Make a second piece the same. Graft the two pieces together.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to direct my Red Hat friends to your blog for the pattern. I'm sure they'd LOVE the scarf. Thanks for posting the pattern!

Buffy

Adele said...

I would be happy if any Red Hatter would be interested in making one for themselves. That's one of the reasons I posted them here, the other is that I have a permanent record of what I have done - I do try to keep the blog as a sort of diary for pleasurable events in my life too. Err, at the risk of blowing my own trumpet there are in fact two knitting patterns for Red Hat scarves here. The other I posted here in March (ther's a link to it here). I'm currently working on Red Hat scarf No 3, which I expect will appear here too in due course.

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit late in saying that the pattern of your knitting is most attractive in this scarf. I would be constantly ripping out for having lost count. (Yes, I know that if I look at the pattern as I am knitting, I can tell which stitch should be used; but, my eyes aren't that great...and my mind wanders.) BTW: How are your eyes/surgery coming?
Cop Car

Adele said...

CopCar,

The pattern might look complicated but in fact it's incredibly easy. For a start it's only a two row pattern and the second row is just plain purl (knit when using the contrast yarn). Also once you've done the first row 3 ort 4 times it becomes almost automatic and you just keep on going. OK, I do look at it a bit but even with my (current) eyesight it's not difficult to see just where you are.

The surgery will be on 7th June and I have to admit that I'll be glad when the wait is over. Still, only three more weeks.