Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Free Knitting Pattern: My Red Hat Scarf


At the last Red Hat event that I attended I noticed that several other members were wearing scarves of purple and red. So I decided I'd have a go at knitting one for myself. I looked on the web but didn't find a pattern that inspired, so I thought I'd have a go at designing one myself. I chose the Old Shale pattern from this book, adapting it slightly. Then I looked out for appropriate yarn. I chose 4 ply in purple, as I didn't want anything too thick, and some eyelash yarn in red.
As the picture of the whole scarf doesn't give a true idea of what it is like, I've also provided a close-up and one showing the actual stitch pattern.












Yarn:
1 100g ball Sirdar Country Style 4 ply yarn - roughly US fingering weight (M)
1 50g ball Sirdar Vegas (C)
4 mm circular needle

Tension:
7 sts & 8 rows to 1 inch

To make:
Cast on 360 stitches, work in pattern.

1st Row Purl
2nd Row: K1, P to last stitch, K1
3rd Row: * [K2 tog] three times, [YO, K1] six times, [K2 tog] three times; repeat from * to end
4th Row K

Knit 49 rows in M, except for rows 4, 5, 24, 25, 44 and 45 which are in C.

Cast off loosely. Sew in ends.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No one can accuse you of not getting into the spirit of things. That is one wild scarf!

It's rather early in our morning for me to be showing my ignorance; but, what is the meaning of the penultimate row of instructions? I don't understand the "M" and the "C".
Cop Car

Adele said...

Sorry if it isn't clear.

M = the main colour, the purple 4 ply.

C = the contrast colour, the red eyelash yarn.

I hope this makes sense.

Adele said...

Thank you for your comments, pihoqahaiq, and welcome. It's always nice to have new visitors.

Anonymous said...

Adele--It makes perfect sense! I was thinking in terms of mechanical, rather than artistic. Thanks for the help! CC

Anonymous said...

Great scarf--thank you for sharing! Love your Blog--thoroughly enjoyed reading your responses in the January Blog re: knitting!

Adele said...

Many thanks for your kind comments. I hope you feel like visiting again.