Monday, March 26, 2007

The Pulmanarias




Last summer, in the heat of the drought, I was looking at a table outside one of the houses near to where I live. The table was full of plants, all at a few pennies each with the money going to the local hospice. In two very small yoghurt pots were a few leaves labelled as pulmanarias, each for sale at about 30p. I bought them, carried them home and planted them in a spot under a couple of large shrubs. The soils was so thin there it was almost dusty so I put a handful for multi-purpose compost in the base of each planting hole and the plant on top. The only other thing I did was to water the plants until I was convinced that they were established. Then I ignored them, I still am. Despite this by winter they had grown into nice compact little plants which have survived the winter and now in flower. They clearly love where I have put them.

I am aware that pulminarias are described as ground cover plants, which mean that they spread and spread but for where I have put them this is just what I need. They certainly like it there and as far as I am concerned if they can keep the weeds under control which try to take over in that spot then I shall be happy. And if they begin to spread too far I can always dig out a couple of yoghurt pots and put a table by our front gate.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

...or cover another spot to cut down on the weeding!

This sounds like the perfect solution to a problem spot.

We have daffodils, hyacinths, squill, crocus and forsythia in bloom. It will be a while before the tulips join them. I hope the weather stays on the cool side so that the daffodils last until Easter. Everything is greening up finally! A little warm weather and some rain and...PRESTO: GREEN! *G*

Happy Spring, my friend!

Buffy

Adele said...

I'm beginning to believe in the efficacy of ground cover plants. They look good and the weeds don't have a chance to show their heads (grin).

Yes, everything is green and we have lots of Spring flowers coming out over here. Even the one tulip is showing its pink head and will clearly be out soon. (It is in a pot and was originally planted at least 4 years ago. Everything else in the pot has gone but this has just reared its head, obviously the bulblets were buried so far down I just missed them.

Anonymous said...

I have a love/hate relationship with ground cover plants. I like not having to pull weeds in some parts of the garden; but, I hate having to go back in the woods to pull up yards and yards of vining plants (and most ground cover plants spread by runners/vining) that have got away from their owners. Unfortunately, the plants are not native to this area and the wildlife have little if any use for them.
Cop Car

Adele said...

CopCar,

Sorry I'm late posting I've had a nasty gastric thing all weekend and I'm only now feeling human again.

Yes, I understand what you mean about the way ground cover plants can spread. On the other hand so far they've proved easier to remove than the weeds which are so tough so I think I'll give them a try and see what happens..