Sunday, March 11, 2007




Quite a busy weekend. Yesterday morning I headed for the public library which had a craft morning and Kaffe Fassett came to sign his books. I took some pictures but wasn't able to get any good ones: the one I've posted here should give an idea though. I splashed out and bought his new book "Kaffe Fassett's V&A Quilts" which he signed. The book is full of absolutely lovely pictures and although I'm not a quilter ( can't see well enough for one thing) I am hoping to get some inspiration from the book.

It's an odd thing but being in a "crafting" environment brings back all my lack of self confidence for my own skills. I can still remember when at school being told how bad I was at any sort of art or craft and how I was so bad at putting colours together. So I came back and continued with knitting the scarf I am making myself for Red Hat times - purple and red goes so well together(!)

In the evening the Husband and I went to see a a concert with local performers in a local place. Each piece of work performed was a pitched and bloody battle between instruments to see who would prevail and be the most prominent. The trumpets resoundingly won by two falls and a submission.

Tonight we are going to go to see the Glenn Miller Orchestra in the local theatre. I love big band musicand am gradually pursuading the Husband to liking it too. We both enjoyed them the last time they played here and so we are looking forward to seeing them again tonight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happen to find nothing wrong with the purple/red combination; but, as you seem to have experienced, my art teachers--as far back as 1st grade--let me know that I had no taste. There was one art teacher, is whose class I enjoyed myself for a single semester in high school, who was less critical. She brought out a small, small bit of talent and even rewarded me with a good grade.

You and Buffy have started a battle of music critics? I love your descriptive prose concerning the concert!
Cop Car

Anonymous said...

My fingers are fumbling. "..., in whose...." not "..., is whose...."

Adele said...

CopCar,

Why do teachers do that? Criticising someone's artistic talent does nothing for themselves, except to make them feel superior, and can scar their pupils for the rest of their lives. I've always felt it anyway.

I didn't notice your spelling thing at first, until you corrected yourself. My brain seemed to skim over what you wrote and to tell me what you clearly meant to say, given the context. If you hadn't said anything I would not have noticed.