Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The past few days

I have a confession to make, neither of us had any idea that on Sunday the clocks were going forward by an hour. I only realised the fact when I turned on the television in the evening and realised it was an hour later than my watch said. It's frustrating though, I'd vaguely thought to myself during the week that the clocks must be changing soon and immediatley forgot all about it and never checked. Very embarrassing but no damage was done to man or beast (grin).

I had an osteoporosis test at the hospital the other week and on Friday I received a letter for my doctor asking me to come in to discuss the results. My imagination immediately went into overload as if everything is fine they would have said so. However when I saw my GP yesterday it turned out that the results weren't too bad. My spine and hip are fine although my femoral neck is osteopenic. The doctor wasn't going to give me any medication although he advised thast I continued to take the calcium and vitamin D tablets I take anyway. I also mentioned that both my thumbs get a bit painful at times but my GP wasn't exacly interested. he said that the real lifespan for a human is 35 years, so anything extra is a bonus. Oh well, nice to know I'm over the hill.

Good news. Originally we were told that only two parents could come to the Stepson's graduation ceremony this summer, something that rather disappointed me because obviously he would want his father and mother there. However, the Stepson has managed to get me a place too so I will be able to go as well. .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First....congrats on being able to go to the commencement ceremony! I think it's wonderful that your stepson has made the effort to include you in his big day. He sounds like a very empathetic young man. I hope the day is perfect in every way.

As for the GP....so, if you break you leg after age 35, does that mean you have to be put down??? It may well be that we reach our peak at 35, but that leaves us a LOT of life left to get through. My mother, at 90, has lived two and a half times his expectations and is still going fairly strong. I'm glad to see that the medical community is actively researching the health of our baby boomers, trying to find ways to make old age a better place to be.

Keep taking your vitamins. It pays to be proactive about your health these days.

Buffy

Adele said...

Back after a nasty gastric thing that left me either in my bed or the bathroom all weekend.

I have to admit that I'm really glad to have the opportunity to go to the Stepson's graduation ceremony. I may not be his mother but we still have a really good relationship, even though it's difficult at times to define it exactly.

Yes, I was a little taken aback by my doctor's comments. Especially as I would estimate that he's only a couple of years yunger than I. I suspect that he was trying to saythat I'm reaching the time when bit of the body begin to play up a bit which to be frank I had already worked out for myself. I only mentioned it because we were discussing my bones/the osteoporosis. Oh well, life goes on.