Monday, June 13, 2005

So He's Innocent

Well, the 10.00pm News, the main news programme on BBC tv in the evening has just spent 30 minutes reporting on the results of the Michael Jackson trial. Not bad given that the whole national news programme is supposed to last half an hour. I've no idea how long the actual programme did last tonight as I gave up listening to all their wittering after Jackson was pronounced innocent. My patience on all that chatting was a bit low, mainly because the cats and I were at the same time busy recapuring yet another mouse which has been hiding behind the wall units all day. (The somewhat battered rodent is now outside and I hope it has the sense to keep away from Nimrod the Mighty Hunter again.) Why on earth the Beeb decided to spend so much airtime on the trial I do not know. It is hardly germain to our interests, just really a diversion from usual sober issues. Perhaps it was meant as a distraction to the current fuss over the European Community and the UK's rebate. Personally I am very much in favour of the EU as an organisation but it is about time someone addressed the fact that the French get such a high proportion of the agricultural subsidies. Let's face it the only reason why they are raising the subject of our rebate is because of the results of the referendum in France on the EU constitution. I hope Jack Straw continues to stand firm.

I have to admit to some surprise as the results of the trial as from the way that the case was reported over here I strongly suspected that Michael Jackson would be found guilty. However that was just listening to the constant barrage of information on the trial reported on the news. I really did not know what the jury was actually told. Oh well, perhaps now sanity may prevail. And I mean both on the news and at Neverland.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Val. I get really, really irritated at the way inane "news" is stretched to fill the broadcast day. I know much more about the Challenger disaster, Monica Lewinski, Princess Diane, 9/11, and Pope John Paul (to name a few) than I ever cared to know. It's a disease that has spread over our media. I want to yell at the program directors: Say it once to get it out of your system; but, don't bother repeating it--EVER! Our National Public Radio and your BBC used to be better than that!
Cop Car

Adele said...

Cop Car, if this was the full summer I would say that it is the silly season when there isn't any real news to broadcast. But we haven't reached the silly season yet.

I think that the news broadcasters are just fascinated with the Michael Jackson trial and think that we all are too.