Sunday, May 15, 2005

An Asparagus Weekend

This week is, of course, the best week of the year to use British asparagus and although asparagus from other countries is nice there is nothing to compare with British produce. We decided to try two recipes from Jill Dupliex appearing daily in the Times, here.
Yesterday we tried last Thursday’s dish ASPARAGUS, PEA & FONTINA RISOTTO (set out here because I can’t find it on the Times’ website).

1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
350g risotto rice, unwashed
1.2 litres chicken stock, heated
150ml white wine
400g asparagus, finely chopped
150g peas
Ground nutmeg, sea salt & pepper
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp grated parmesan
100g fontina, sliced

Method: Heat the oil and butter in a heavy saucepan and cook the onion for 10 minutes until softened. Add the rice, stirring well. Add the wine and stir as it almost bubbles away.
Add the hot stock a ladleful at a time, stirring, over medium heat. Add more stock as the rice absorbs it, and water if you run out of stock. Cook the asparagus and peas in simmering, salted water for 4 minutes. Drain and cool under cold running water.
Heat the grill. When the rice is tender, add the asparagus, peas, nutmeg, salt and pepper, and fold through. Beat in the butter and parmesan and divide between four warm plates. Arrange the cheese on top and place briefly under the grill until it has melted.

The Husband is a dab hand at cooking risotto and so he had a go at this. He commented that once cooked the risotto mixture was absolutely delicious as it was and just did not need the nutmeg. We both agreed that the melted cheese on top was unnecessary and the finished risotto would have been fine without it. The butter parmesan and fontina have, of course, made this very calorific and something to have only very rarely.

Today I tried Tuesday’s recipe Asparagus Frittata. I was not impressed with the suggested method of cooking this which was once the eggs were cooked on the bottom to put the lid on the pan and let it cook gently for 5 minutes until the top was cooked. This meant, of course, that the frittata was cooked all the way through and solid whereas I much prefer a frittata where the centre is a little soft. The finished taste was OK but personally I prefer the additional items to the eggs to be quite robust in their own right rather than having the subtle flavour of asparagus, etc.

Having said all that I do have some favourite recipes from Jill Dupleix. I have a Scotch Broth recipe, again found in the Times, what I make frequently and is always a success.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, Val. You're trying my translation skills, again, aren't you? As our grill provides heat under the food, I'll assume that your "grill" is our "broiler". Sounds luscious; but, your being right about the calorificness (I needed a word!) it, I probably shan't be trying this particular recipe. But, I shall follow your link to see what other goodies might be found. Thanks!
Cop Car

Adele said...

Cop Car, I believe that our grill is your broiler but the idea with this type os recipe is for the heat from the grill to be above the dish or food being cooked so that i.e. the cheese on top of the risotto melts and becomes brown and scrumptious. Over here our ovens usually contain a grill also to provide top heat.

Of course, I am a great believer of amending recipes to meet myown taste or convenience and, as I said, one could always make the dish without the melted cheese on top.

Adele said...

Cop Car, I forgot to say that the usual method of cooking a frittata (and the one I definitely prefer) is once the mixture has been cooked underneath for about 3 minutes then to put the whole thing still in the pan under a grill (broiler) until the top is set. Much more delicious than Jull Dupliex's method of cooking it.

Anonymous said...

Re-reading the asparagus and pea recipe, I believe that you are correct, Val. It can be made without clogging my arteries as badly as had been my first impression. My asparagus haven't produced many spears this spring--although--it could be that I've just missed them.
I knew that my gas oven has a broiler, but I had to check the electric oven to be sure that it has one. I doubt that I've used either of the broilers--definitely not the gas one--in the five years that we've been here. Usually, if I'm cooking something that needs to be heated from the top, it is something that I am making for just the two of us. Thus, the dish is small enough that I use the little (counter top) electric toaster oven. The broiler in it gets used several times each week!
You and Buffy come up with the best recipes! Wish I loved to cook.
Cop Car

Adele said...

The Husband said that if/when he makes the risotto next time he will probably not add the nutmeg or the butter and only one lot of cheese, either the parmesan in the risotto or the fontina on top. The recipe just does not need both. He often makes risotto for dinner and it is usually a much lower calorie option than this recipe, so why not adapt this one so it is more slimming.

Incidentally the recipe makes a lot - enough for 4 easily. You could always halve all the ingredients to make enough for you and your other half.