Sunday, May 29, 2005

Wistful Feelings about Art

I wish I could daw or paint. I love looking at paintings and sculptures and try to get to new exhibitions in London when I can. I still feel fired up by that wonderful exhibition about Matisse and Textiles which is about to finish at the Royal Academy. Such an exciting exhibition, totally inspirational.

The problem? I have no artistic talent at all. I cannot draw or paint for toffee. I can remember being told that at school and it is still the case now. I even feel worried trying to match different coloured tops and skirts to wear in case they don't match. No confidence or skill in this area at all. Normally this fact doesn't worry me, I just take it as a fact of life but this evening the Husband and I have just watched three episodes of that brilliant series by Robert Hughes on Modern Art "The Shock of the New" that we videoed off the tv when it was shown on BBC4 sometime last year. One of the episodes was that excellent one about impressionism and it really makes me wish that I could paint or draw and have a go myself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Val, there must be those of us who cannot be artists to provide an appreciative audiance for those who can be and are artists. (Too bad that we do not win ribbons for being such good appreciators!)
Cop Car

Adele said...

Cop Car I know. It's just when I see what wonderful things artists can do I find mysely really wishing that I could paint or draw or something too. Still I know my limitations.

Anonymous said...

I understand. Among all of the artistic talents, I should want a good voice.
Cop Car

Anonymous said...

Hi there Val, I was just cruising the blogosphere searching for the latest information on inspirational art and came across this great blog. Although this post wasn’t quite what I was looking for, it has excellent articles. I see now why I found your page when I was looking for inspirational art related topics. I’m glad I stop by this is a great Blog, keep up the good work.

Adele said...

Welcome and many thanks for your kind words. I hope you come back to visit again.