Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Sudden Change of Plans

I've come to the conclusion that when life throws something at you there are two ways of dealing with it: (a) to resent it and to fight against it; or (b) to accept it and to go with it as much as possible. I try to follow (b) as much as possible though psychologically and emotionally it is not always possible.

Anyway, I tried to follow that philosophy today. The Husband and I were in a coffee shop in town, relaxing and reading the papers when my mobile phone went off. It was the Stepson. He had been at the Sony Radio Awards yesterday evening, had missed the last train back to Cambridge and so came back to Chelmsford and stayed last night at his mother's. He needed to get back to university today and his mother has a commitment she just couldn't get out of. So, as the Husband was going out to a concert (part of the Chelmsford Cathedral Festival) this evening I offered to take the Stepson back to Cambridge. So, out of the blue I had a round trip to Cambridge and back. It wasn't possible to stop at Cambridge when I dropped him off because, as usual, driving and parking in Cambridge is absolutely impossible. Usually when we are visiting him we use the Park and Ride service which has always been, when we've used it, very efficient and effective.

Driving back down the M11 I began to feel down because I hadn't had the opportunity to stop and park in Cambridge and to mooch around for a bit - a favourite pasttime of mine. So, while driving I started to observe my thoughts and and to realise that it wasn't what was right at the time. I'll do it some other occasion. I promised myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how we look forward to the little things in life and feel just a bit itchy or peevish when thwarted or deprived? Let's hope that, ere long, you get to scratch that itch, Val.
Cop Car