Friday, May 06, 2005

An Utterly Delicious English Version of Chocolate Brownies

4oz Chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids)
2oz unsalted butter
3oz plain flour
good pinch baking powder
good pinch salt
2 eggs
6oz sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2oz walnuts, roughly chopped

1. Set the oven at Gas Mark 4, 180 C. Grease an 8inch (20cm) square baking tin.
2. Melt the chocolate gently. When cooled a little add the butter cut into small pieces. Stir until the butter has melted and blend with the chocolate.
3. Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt.
4. Beat the eggs together with the salt and vanilla until fluffy and blend in the chocolate and butter mixture.
5. Fold in the flour and then the walnuts.
6. Pour into the baking tin and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted just comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool, then cut into squares - they will turn fudgy as they cool.

I've lost count of the number of times I have made this for the family but it must be in the hundreds. It is incredibly easy to make and is absolutely fabulous.

3 comments:

Adele said...

Cop Car, so glad that you've found this blog and that you actually managed to post on it as I know you have difficulties with Blogger. I hope that these are sorted out now.

Sorry I forgot to add the Farenheit temperature to this. But I can assure you that these are really easy to make and are hugely popular with my family. They also freeze well.

Lillie said...

Hi Val!
Cme here from Cop's Car's blog.
The brownies sound delicious.
I will add this to my brownie recipes collection!
Blogger can be a pain sometimes. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

You did not lie, Val. With Hunky Husband at home, now, I made the brownies. They are simple to make, they came out perfectly (20 minutes at 350 degrees F) and ARE utterly delicious. Thanks for a keeper of a recipe!
Cop Car